SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Update on my Japanese maple (good news/bad news)

mxk3 z5b_MI
14 years ago

Bad: I posted last week about my Japanese maple looking pretty bad. Had an arborist come out today - poor thing has canker pretty badly. It has to go. One of my laceleafs that was a gift from my dad (!!) already bit the dust this year - what is going on with my Jap. maples? He looked at this one (haven't had time to dig it out yet) but it was too far gone - DEAD dead for too long for him to give a diagnosis on what caused the girdling.

Good: Actually, I called him about my other Japanese maple (since I already knew the above one is going to be replaced) - I have a *gorgeous* Bloodgood that anchors the area around one of my patios. I love that tree, I truly love it. I noticed some bark wounds starting like the other tree had, so I figured I better have somebody come out ASAP. He could not tell what caused the wound, he said it is very well compartmentalized, and he saw no other damage on the trunk, and said the tree itself is very healthy. Whew! He said a critter might have caused the wound, he just couldn't tell, and said it would be okay to "cage" the trunk with wire to be on the safe side, just be sure to keep it off the bark. Also gave me a nice reminder to disinfect blades between cuts to avoid transferring pathogens.

My other laceleaf is stressed because it's planted too deeply, but other than that is fine. He suggested gently excavating the soil directly next to the trunk to tray and expose the root flare.

He suggested infusing a tonic (my word, not his) around the healthy Jap. maples, but it cost $125, so I told him I'd think about it.

He was very informative, give me tips on pruning what to do/not to do, well worth the $35 house call.

Comments (2)