SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for Good Climbing Rose Recommendation

I am going to be putting up an arbor with a gate that leads down to the lower part of our yard. I'd like to plant a nice climbing rose to grow up and over the arbor. We live about 6-7 miles in from the coast so we do get the typical "May Gray" and "June Gloom" to some extent which of course brings with it ideal temps and humidity for mildew, rust, black spot, etc. So, looking for something that is at least fairly resistant to fungal infections and can tolerate some afternoon shade as it will be located on the east side of our home, and will get shaded by the house later in the afternoon. So far, I'm considering 'Zephirine Drouhin' because it is essentially thornless - a very nice feature when walking through an arbor :-) as well as 'Dreamweaver' since it is very floriforous. Both have some issues with black spot, but I like how they look. Colors that would work for this area would be white, apricot, buff, pink, salmons, yellows. I prefer an old rose or hybrid tea shape as opposed to a single or double (have two large 'Flower Girl' tree roses right next to this area, so good with a single or double looking rose in this area). Would like as much bloomtime as possible, fragrance is always a plus, and would prefer something that doesn't become monsterous, as the walkway isn't that wide. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer up :-)

Patty S.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida