SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Starting bare root roses in pots: pros and cons?

merlcat
11 years ago

So i did the nasty and bought some bare roots from HD, they just came in near me. They are soaking (roots only). None have leafed out, they just seemed to arrive in my zone and show minimal red buds just popping. I know that they are not the best choice as starter bare roots, but it's done now.

Last year I soaked for about two days and planted directly in the ground. I buried the grafts. They seemed to take off but ended up having die back on many canes. Currently, most show only one or two green and budding. One seems like it is sending up a new basal from below, I hope it is not rootstock, time will tell. Past bare roots were so-so a couple thrived right in the ground, a couple took a year to get going.

This year I am considering planting them in pots first. The size would be the size that an average potted rose comes in from a nursery, I think that is 5 gallons?

I'm in philadelphia, now zone 7a.

I have potting soil, composed manure (bagged), compost (from the bin out back), and native topsoil that is a bit sandy. I also have black mulch to top with. I may try and make a mix of this, depending on what people suggest. The only pot-grown roses I have I potted with a bagged shrub potting mix recommended to me at a nursery. Those do fine in that but I don't know if it is necessary for these, given that I may transplant them to the ground later in the season (fall) or next year.

Would anyone recommend me trying to start them in pots to get the roots going, as opposed to planting in the ground? Pros or cons?
I thought about growing one of these in a pot long term, but not sure which one yet. I'm in love with seil's pot garden! :)

Can I start them in 5 gallons with a mix of topsoil, compost and potting mix that I already have?

I'm sort of curious to do it this way to see for my own eyes when re-planted how the roots develop on these bare roots. But if the consensus is it's better to put them in the ground I'd try to do so.

Comments (6)