SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madzone9b_ca

Price of Potted Rose vs Bare Root

MAD zone 9b
6 years ago

I happened to be in the area and decided to take a trip to Regan’s Nursery (CA). I thought to pick up a couple potted David Austin roses. I had expected the price to be maybe $7-$10 more than bare root prices. I had never been before. As I searched for the DA section, I saw a ton of potted up bare root roses, and I did not see a price on the tags or pots. I thought it was odd. I walked around the DA potted bare roots, and I was surprised to see a single placard for one of the roses saying each one was $59.99! I left after seeing that.

I did notice at my local Lowes that their potted bare root roses were around $14, whereas the bare roots sold originally for $8 (before being put clearance).

Is it normal for places to charge double the price of DA bare root for potted plants?

I read a comment from someone on here before saying their local nursery charged an extra $7 for potted DA roses vs. bare root.

I don’t mind the price difference at Lowes since it’s only an extra $6...but an extra $32 for dirt and a paper pot is a bit much for me. The pots were some kind of biodegradable papery stuff, so I couldn’t even reuse it. I know there’s no shipping, and you pay extra for the dirt and pot, but still...it makes Heirloom Roses‘ new $45 prices somehow seem palatable.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!