SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yewmonger

Advice on pruning giant yew shrubs

9 years ago

Please bear in mind that I have no shrub maintenance experience whatsoever. I have read the FAQ for this forum, and done some internet research on pruning yews. In pragmatic terms, what I THINK it boils down to is this: If yard reclamation is the priority(it is), you can cut back yews whenever and to whatever extent you like.

I'm in SE Michigan. On the west side of my house are these two giant shrubs, which I assume are yews, although I've never seen any berries on them. They form a wonderful natural windbreak against winter winds and provide an excellent privacy screen. They were already quite large when I bought the house 25 years ago and I've never trimmed them or done anything to them at all, now they are taking over the yard. I'd estimate the height at about 25 ft. and some of the trunk branches are 8 in. diameter.

I've seen some internet videos about how it's safe to cut back yews right to ground level, but what I would really like to do is about a 50% cutback to preserve the windscreen and privacy functions. The other concern is the amount of wood to dispose of - I will have to burn the refuse, and I'll have to dry the wood over the winter so I don't get smoke complaints from the neighbors. Please note that only 0 cost options can be considered. So here are my questions:

1) Is a 50% cutback really a good idea, or should I bite the bullet and cut them back hard?
2) Is it safe to do the cutback right now(June)?
3) Should I just go around the shrubs and cut each branch back 50%?

Thanks for any suggestions, and if there are other questions I should be asking I'd appreciate hearing that too. Again, please keep in mind that my priority here is yard reclamation, but I also don't want to kill the shrubs.

(I couldn't find any instructions on how to post photos in this forum, I apologize if I have broken any rules)

{{gwi:263980}}

{{gwi:263981}}

{{gwi:263982}}

Comments (7)