SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Plant/shrub to replace giant hosta

Lalala (zone 6b)
9 years ago

I have three large blue hostas along my front steps that have been there since before we moved in. They are well established, happy, and have their benefits--reliable, extremely hardy, block all weeds under them. But I have never loved them in that spot. It looks bare in spring mud season, I don't like the flowers (which are short-lived anyway), and now when the leaves are dying it creates a mess to clean up. We also have a dying Norway Maple on the street that will make the area sunnier once it is removed, when the city gets around to it. It will have morning shade and a couple of hours of afternoon sun (some filtered some direct).

I need something no more than about 3 feet tall since there are some endless summer hydrangeas up-slope from them that I don't want to block. Also in the beds along the stairs I have white azaleas, roses (which I also don't love in that spot), fothergilla, a small weeping cherry, and some lady's mantle and geranium biokovo for groundcover. Can you suggest anything, either shrub or perennials, to replace the hostas? All together they make a mass about 5' wide, 7' long, and 3' tall. The replacement could be a bit smaller.

Comments (8)