SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

you learn something every day

User
11 years ago

OMG, I never realised that fava beans (US) are actually my beloved broadies.(broad beans, UK)
You can keep your fancy asparagus, silly micro-greens and other cheffy delights, my absolute best veggie, eaten only by me (and I sometimes allow husband and offspring a small taste) - no-one waits with more anticipation for the first broad beans - the true, enduring taste of summer. Picked when the beans are no bigger than a baby finger nail, I hoard my crop of beans jealously, even stashing some in the freezer for secretive gluttonous snacks when winter gets me down.
All this time, I thought Hannibal Lecter was referring to some obscure UK bean like a lima or summat.

Of course, mine are still weedy and tiny but I hover over them, nipping out the tops before the terrible blackfly infests their lush leafage, often not even waiting till I get home to munch them.
Mmmmm, butter and bacon....and broad beans - the absolute ne plus ultra of summer feasting. I am salivating now and may have to go and find a biscuit.

Comments (2)