SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Eradicating Dr. Huey too?

12 years ago

In addition to having what I *believe* to be Multiflora (Gregg ID'd it for me at the Celebration last year, but google says that growers didn't use much multiflora in CA... but I'm wandering....)

I also have a smaller Dr. Huey that was not terribly vigorous so there's no distinct stump like there is for the multiflora. A couple months ago when I asked the landscaper to "rip out" the entire Dr. Huey plant, roots and all, he clearly just took loppers, cut it to the ground, and declared it done. This Spring, an enormous flush of huey suckers have emerged and I'm itching to find the best way to kill the plant completely.

Is Dr. Huey as hard to remove and kill as Multiflora? The Multiflora (which I mentioned in another post) has a huge stump, like 12 inches around and I was planning on drilling it with roundup a few times.

The Dr. Huey just seems to be sending out lots of upright suckers, and I can't seem to find any actual stump. I am not sure if a steady stream of roundup on the emerging leaves will kill the Dr.

I was hoping to plant my antique roses there this spring. I have this scary image of needing to dig every out single bit of the soil and sift out every single piece of the roots... but hopefully it'll easier than that.

Or, if this is just something I'll always have to live with and remove when they pop up?

Thanks!

-kmama

Comments (5)