SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Idiots stole two roses

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

Today my husband went down to the bottom of the field bordering the road to see how the rose hedge we planted there last fall and winter was doing. The two largest roses were gone, obviously stolen. Bah, humbug!!! I hate such incivility. However, it could be a lot worse: we planted the hedge with roses I didn't much like and with suckers, and intended to continue with overflow plants I didn't particularly want in the garden. I thought they would please passersby when they were in flower and fulfill their practical function of preventing the ground from slumping. I didn't think of theft. Anyway, they probably got either 'Duc de Cambridge', which has a horrible habit of proliferating, or 'Parkzauber', a Kordes modern moss with screaming fuchsia blooms. Maybe they didn't get all the roots and the roses will come back. I do have the parent plant of DdC, for those years when it has some decent flowers; not that I care that much. I must remember to plant additional roses when they're small and unnoticeable, and do it late in the fall when the weather's getting bad. Perhaps then, by the time the thief comes back for a nice big rose, the plant will be too well established to be easily taken, or will leave some roots behind to sucker from.

I'm glad the real garden is relatively inaccessible. Though perhaps the thief wouldn't take a rose from a garden as he/she would one from the border of a field.

Melissa

Comments (30)