SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linjon54

Old Rose with single white petals

linjon zone 5
13 years ago

Hi, I am looking for an identification of another rose bush that I have. This rose bush was growing on our place when we bought it in 1981. I was told that it was just a mock rose and not worth much so tried to get rid of it. However on a visit my mother-in-law discovered a piece of it growing near our tool shed and had my son help her fasten it to the wall of our tool shed. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had been told to get rid of it when she very proudly told me that she had fastened the rose bush to the tool shed with my son's help. So it won the "War of the Roses". Since then I have been told to get rid of it by at least one other person but refuse to do so as it looks nice and has grown into quite a beautiful bush.

This rose has single petaled blooms in early June, only blooms once each year and the blooms last for about 2 weeks. Once the blooms have gone it forms small rose hips that turn red. They will stay on this bush usually until spring at which time the robins come along and eat them.

I was told to get rid of it as it was invasive and yet we have lived here for 30 years and it only grows in a few places where I have allowed it to grow. I am not trying to dig it out all the time.

I would love to find out what it is and whether I should be considering getting rid of it or not. I have posted photos on flicker and will post a link to them so you can see what it looks like. I am sorry but the only photo I could find of the rose hips is one with snow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Single Petal White Rose

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm