SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

My plan for design alongside of house (with images)

zaphod42
13 years ago

Yesterday's 'snowstorm' gave me the opportunity to sit inside and think about spring all day. I've been working on a plan for the north side of my house and thought I'd put pencil to paper and put it out there for assistance and advice. Quick recap from a previous post -- the area I'm working with is 35' x 6' on the north side of my house. Partial to full shade depending on which part of the bed. Here's a pic of the side of my house:

{{gwi:193827}}

Here's the plan:

{{gwi:194417}}

1 - European Variegated Dogwood [C. alba 'Argenteo-marginata']

2 - Originally, I was thinking Meadowsweet [Filipendula Flore Plena] because it had a bit of height and can tolerate dry shade. I'm iffy on this. Maybe something a bit more substantial?

3 - Globe Flower

4 - Blue Mouse Ears Hosta

5 - Viola of some kind (Heartthrob has pretty leaves.)

6 - Lobelia (One of the red ones.)

7 - Valentine Giant Bleeding Heart

8 - Maybe Lamium or a groundcover. Open to suggestions.

9 - Heuchera (Open for suggestions here--on variety of heuchera or alternate plant. I have a love-hate relationship with heucheras. I love them when I see them in other people's yards, but haven't been able to get them to work for me. I've got the Dolce Creme Brulee and they are not attractive at all and have remained puny.)

10 - Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Hosta

11 - Brunnera

12 - Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Snow Queen'

So far, there's been positive interest...

{{gwi:194418}}

...but the feedback's been iffy. :)

I have two primary areas of weakness when planning layouts like this. The first is I pick the plants I like the best and then my favorite varieties of those plants without regard to whether they all actually work together as a whole. Second, I also have a hard time coordinating what part of the spring or summer I have flowers in bloom. (I tried.) Anyway, thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (23)