SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

My rant of the week!! Re: Michigan nurseries

mxk3 z5b_MI
16 years ago

I live in Michigan, to which bloodroot is native. Do you think I can find bloodroot easily up here? AAARRRGGHHH!!!!

The only place I've found it locally recently is Arrowhead Alpines, and I've had quite a few plants I've purchased from them die - including some bloodroot I bought. I don't know what's going on with that, but I rarely lose plants, so I'm not purchasing from Arrowhead any more.

So I have to resort to mail-ordering bloodroot this year, and paying ridiculous shipping charges. I know vendors don't make money off shipping and it's not their fault, but it stings when the price of shipping is $30 for four 1-gallon plants (ForestFarm).

It just burns me that this plant isn't readily available up here (nor are many other beautiful natives) - or at least not anywhere I know about. We have some outstanding nurseries around here, but very little focus on native plants/wildflowers. BAH!

Does anyone in SE Michigan know where I can find bloodroot locally (besides Arrowhead)? I think David said Saguro (?sp) got out of the perennial business, but maybe I'm wrong and perhaps they carry it? Neither Telly's nor Bordine's have had it the last few years.

BAH!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting