SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theaceofspades

Setting fruit on Asian Plum trees

theaceofspades
16 years ago

There are many tempting varieties of asian plums. The problem has been getting asian plum trees to set fruit on the east coast. Catalogs list many pears apples plums as self fruitfull in the arid west. Asian Plums are better adapted to drier climates.

Found this in Fedco catalog;

"We have tried a number of different strategies as Fedco catalog readers will know. We still recommend planting the trees close enough together for the branches to "co-mingle." However a recent article by Rick Sawazky of the Department of Plant Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, may provide the breakthrough weÂve all been searching for:

"Most writers have overlooked or significantly understated the pollination requirements for growing good plum crops. The exception is George F. Chipman who edited the Prairie Gardener for many years and who wrote

about plum pollination in 1934. He summarized a study done by Prof. W.H. Alderman at the University of Minnesota by saying, ÂÂvery few hybrid plums would accept pollen freely from other hybrids, but they all accept pollen from native plums.Â"Our own suspicions, as well as our experiments, appear to corroborate this view. Simply by planting native plum pollinators among the hybrids, it may prove possible to produce large regular crops with very little effort. Hooray!"

Has anyone tried wild plum pollinators to fruit set their asian plums?

Comments (18)

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

My impression is the above pollination issue is for pollination of hybrid plums only, not for the pure asian plums. All the guys quoted in the above live too far north to grow non-hybrid asian plums so they have no experience with them are are very unlikely to have done any experiments with them. That said, I have had pollination problems on my asians so who knows maybe it does also apply to them in our climate.

I think the above statement also may apply to some varieties of hybrids only. I have found my hybrids to be much better at setting than my asians. Shiro and La Crescent both overset this year.

Scott

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Our neighborhood is full of purple-leaved flowering but non-fruiting plum trees.

Are these trees sterile, or are the flowers male? Is there any chance they could serve to pollinate anything?

• Related Discussions

Plum won't set fruit

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I too have an Italian Plum, not a Stanley. This is the first year it has blossomed and I cannot find a picture on the internet of shuck-split Italian Plums. How long did it take your plums to get to 1mm in diameter. I can already tell, after petal drop that some of the stems are weaker and will fall off. I hope they all do not. I did read an article from a major university, stating that when European plum trees blossom for the first time, the chances of it dropping all fruit is very good. Sad but true. I feel your pain. Mrs. G
    ...See More

Santa Rosa Plum and Asia Pear tree not producing fruits

Q

Comments (1)
    Hereabouts, which may perhaps has had similar weather, pears & plums have had a tough time setting fruit the past two years. Too cold, too wet.
    ...See More

nurseries in San Diego with Asian veges and fruit trees

Q

Comments (12)
    Nurseries in San Diego with Asian veggies and rare fruit trees. In my opinion one of the best is the Bonita Creek Nursery, they have a huge selection! http://www.bonitafruittrees.com David, the owner, is GREAT and the fruit is super. They have Avocado, Cherimoya, Cherry, Sapote, Guava, Figs, Mangos, Berries and many other trees. The nursery is in Bonita, just 15 minutes from down town San Diego by car. Have fun! Here is a link that might be useful: Bonita Creek Nursery
    ...See More

Help! My Santa Rosa Plum tree is fruiting now in winter!

Q

Comments (6)
    Your tree very likely has many flower buds still unopened so may bloom more in spring. But you are in a very atypical situation for most of us. Your tree may not get enough chilling for the remaining flower buds to open at normal time in a month or two. So I'd leave the current fruit and see what it does. You may get two crops, a very extended light harvest, or nothing at all.
    ...See More
  • tcstoehr
    16 years ago

I lived in a neighborhood that was planted with purple-leafed plum trees that bloomed nicely in Spring. They were all intentionally sterile... except for the one in front of my house. I'm pretty sure it was not intentional, but I got a nice crop of purple plums every year, and it had alot to do with starting up my interest in fruit trees. The year I started raising Mason Bees, my plum tree overset so badly that I lost alot of the tree to broken branches. I didn't know anything about thinning back then.
    Since the other trees along the same street had *no* fruit *ever*, it seems logical to assume the flowers were incapable of producing fruit.

• murkwell
    16 years ago

I expect that the flowers are incapable of producing fruit. What I'm wondering is if they are capable of pollinating other plum trees. I see those as two different things. I guess I think of "producing" as the same as "bearing".

I suppose technically the sperm donor has a role in "producing" offspring.

I started with mason bees this past spring.

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Ace,
    I don't know if bloom times are compatible, but why not try some of the native beach plums(P.maritima) from your locality as potential pollenizers? (I saw them on Plum Island, when I was there a couple of years back)
    You know they're well-adapted and fertile - it would merely be an question of whether bloom periods overlap and whether or not adequate pollenators are present.

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lucky

Plum Island is for U.S. biomedical research. How did you get there.?
    Beach plums can be rooted from cuttings in the springtime. Got to thin my wild cherry trees along the property line this winter. Black knot here and there. I'd like to try a disease free thicket of suckering beach plums. Blooms like crazy.

http://www.beachplum.cornell.edu/index.html

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

I rode the boat! 8>)

Really, though, I'm a veterinary pathologist. Every year, PIADC conducts a week-long session on foreign animal disease diagnosis for pathologists working at diagnostic laboratories or colleges of veterinary medicine. Gives us a chance to see those diseases we were taught about in veterinary school, first-hand, so that if they ever make their way back into the US, we'll recognize them before they become too widespread and cause a major outbreak.
    Pretty scary, 'cause some of those diseases, like Foot & Mouth Disease, Rinderpest, Classical Swine Fever, etc., don't look much different from some of the more mundane diseases I see almost every day.
    Made it kinda neat to read the books, "Plum Island" and 'Lab 257', 'cause I'd actually been there, and recognized many of the facilities/landmarks.
    Long Island was quite pretty - they put us up in Greenport - but I was surprised to see how rampant bittersweet was there - almost like Japanese honeysuckle or (gasp!)kudzu, back home in AL.

I've been growing a few seedling beach plums, purchased from OIKOS Tree Crops, 8-10 years ago - and while I've got black knot on my Japanese hybrid and European plums, not more than 20-30 ft away, I've never seen black knot on the beach plums. I'm not saying they don't get it, but in my limited experience, it's not been a problem.
    Black knot hasn't been a huge problem for my native Chickasaw plums(P.angustifolia), either; they do get it, but it's not usually rampant.

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott'

Your Shiro and La Crescent set well I believe because they have wild parentage. You have said you have 5 asian varieties that haven't fruited. Do they bloom well? I sent an e-mail to the Beach Plum project Director, if I get a reply on the pollination of asia plums I'll post asap.

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Ace, the remarks you quote at the top are also for hybrid plums with wild parentage (all the Fedco plums are hybrids since they are too far north to grow asians), so some hybrid plums set well and others apparently don't. I think it may have something to do with which native plums are used in the crosses (I'm not certain of that however). My asian plums flower nicely, they just don't set. Beyond a low pollination rate I also get a lot of drops which are late enough that they were obviously pollinated.

Scott

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott

I have planted (last spring) a Santa Rosa and a Flavor King Pluot(these pollinate according to the grower, DWN). I am not getting any more Japanese plums till I see how those two produce fruit here on Long Island. I just ordered a Shiro s.d. because it sets loads of early plums.

Have you tried Prunus americana seedlings or graftings to pollinate your japanese plums? What Japanese varieties have been planted and not fruited in your orchard.

I lucked out hosting 10 honey bee hives next spring. A master beekeeper from Nafex lives in the next town over. I get a sample of the sweet stuff too.

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Ace, I have not tried any americana plums as pollinators of my Japanese plums. I have also not seen a single report or study where anyone suggested such for pure Japanese plums, so I don't plan on trying it for them. I have have poor fruit set from Wickson, Santa Rosa, Satsuma, Howard Miracle, Elephant Heart, Weeping Santa Rosa, Flavor King, Flavor Supreme, all of which are five years old now. I have had a total of one fruit eaten from all of these trees. I almost had a couple more this summer but the squirrels got them.

Apparently some people do get good fruit set on Santa Rosa in our climate. Maybe the tree just needs to get older. I put it in in 2002.

Scott

• alan haigh
    16 years ago

Ace, I wouldn't base my Jap. plum decisions on the performance of those 2. This is why it's useful to deal with a nursery like Adams County. They can tell you what varieties are grown commercially in your area.
    Santa Rosa and pluots are notorious for their spotty yields in the East. Shiro and Methely are 2 that bear monstrous crops. Thinning your Methelys will wear you out!

Home orchardists can afford crop failure but the first few selections really should be based a lot on reliability in my opinion. Tree ripened fruit off your own trees is always the best you've ever tasted whether they are the absolute best possible or not.

• plumfan
    16 years ago

Mr. ScottSmith

I am the plumfan! If p. americana blooms at the same time as your salicina's, you are missing a huge opportunity for pollination. Find a decent pure americana and graft a branch or two into each of your salicinas. Then come back in two years and curse me for your branch breakages!

Genetically speaking, prunus wants to be wild, and all indications are that wild will always pollenize domestic, but never the inverse.

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Plumfan, that is very interesting, I've never heard of that for pure Japanese plums (as you could surely tell from all my posts above). Maybe I will give it a try. I'm not sure why no nursery or other expert ever mentioned it before, but I would really like to get some Japanese plums. They are also major disease magnets for me, in particular the Elephant Heart and Howard MIracle. I already 90% topworked the Elephant Heart and will do the same with the HM this spring. Santa Rosa and Satsuma have been the (relatively) best as far as diseases go.

Scott

• plumfan
    16 years ago

Howdy Scottsmith,

I am not sure just exactly what the molecular DNA constructs are for why salicina's do not like to pollinate themselves, but that is usaully the case. They NEED outside pollen. Their are a few salicina/americana hybrids that WILL be good pollinators, I think Toka, Kaga and South Dakota being a few of them. They may avoid disease for you too, if americanas do well in your area at all. I think Superior is considered a weak pollinizer as well, plus the fruits are supposed to be pretty good. Never tasted them myself, as my only graft of it expired after a year.

I have noticed that some of the myro/salicina hybrids are self fertile, which means they would also fertilize the finicky salicina thoroughbreds.

Compass is another good pollinator, if a bit on the tart side. Prunus besseyi being in its heritage. Never grown that one, but I bet it is tough tough tough.

I have some of these if you cannot get them locally. I generally rely on Santa Rosa, tho, as I really like its taste.

Wanna do some trading this winter?

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott,

The article says a multi-grafted hybrid and salicina plum had 'outstanding yields' when pollinated by wild plum. This is the article quoted in the Fedco catalogue. Most pollination studies are in text books. I did find a mention in the New York fruit quarterly advising Myrobolan (native asian plum) rootstock to pollinate Ozark Premier plum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick Sawatzky Plum Pollination Article

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Ace, that is not the conclusion of that article. It states:

Cultivars of Prunus salicina, which is commonly called Japanese or Asian plum, bloom
    early and are good pollinizers with one another since they are not hybrids.

This was also my reading of the remarks in the Fedco catalog. There is some discussion of how a wild plum was a good pollinator of the multi-graft asian in the article, but there was only one asian plum on that graft so the only pollinators it would have (besides itself) were the other hybrids. So again the problem is pollination by hybrids as pollen parent, not asian as pollen parent.

I do in fact have a Myrobolan plum which has been blooming so I am not sure that is a great solution.

Clear as mud, eh?

Scott

• theaceofspades
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott,

Adams County Nursery was disappointed in their preliminary tests of Zaiger interspecific hybrids. Asian type plums bred in sunny California are sometimes difficult to grow on the East coast. The Santa Rosa and a Flavor king I planted did not drop their leaves, they were frozen off. These vigorous tree stored alot of carbs so they should be ok. From ACN catalog pg 26; "There is still much to be learned about their adaption to eastern climates, but for those who venture into planting these exquisite fruits, their is great potential for reward."

The link below has excellent reading on Plum breeding and China apple industry.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York fruit Quarterly magazine