SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Choosing which roses to plant in my new bed

peachymomo
12 years ago

The work on my new garden area is progressing well but I have allow the concrete to firm up around the posts of the new retaining wall before I can jump in and start turning over the dirt. So instead of digging today I'm thinking of what I will plant in the new area, it is 32' long and about 4' wide. Part of me wants to squeeze in as many roses as I can just to get them out of the pot ghetto, but the more rational side of me is winning out and I think I will plant 8 roses spaced 4' apart. Which leaves me the problem of choosing which of my potted roses will be the ones to get a spot in the ground.

The bed is going to be on the border of my vegetable garden and I want it to be a riot of color, with bold, bright roses and companion plants. I shovel pruned several of my yellows, leaving me with only one that is bright enough for this spot, but I have lots of oranges and pinks, and some blends.

These are the roses I have to choose from, narrowing down to only 8 is difficult: 2 Joseph's Coat, Playboy, Anthony Meilland, Fragrant Cloud, Kirsten Poulsen, Rose de Rescht, Marchioness of Lorne, Kordes' Brilliant, Livin' Easy, Vavoom, Mystery Purple (possibly Ebb Tide,) Honeysweet, Father's Day.

If you were me, which roses would you choose to plant?

Comments (3)