SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Strike two... suggestions please for really difficult spot

highalttransplant
16 years ago

I was just reading another thread about a "difficult spot", but it was someone on the eastern half of the country, so the suggested shrubs would not work in our alkaline soil.

Last fall I planted an oakleaf hydrangea 'Little Honey'. It looked like it made it through the worst of the winter, but a late cold spell did it in.

About a month ago, I replaced it with a kerria japonica 'Golden Guinea', which looked okay at first, but now is looking beat up from the winds.

This is a western exposure, sloped area up against the house. It receives late afternoon high altitude sun, and lots and lots of wind. This area can accomadate a shrub that gets 3 - 5' wide. It will be a few feet away from a Rose of Sharon 'Freedom' which has a red, double bloom, and next to a viburnum trilobum 'Red Wing'. This area receives overspray from the lawn sprinklers, so it doesn't necessarily have to drought tolerant.

This is on the side of the house, in a mixed perennial bed that uses mostly shades of yellow, soft orange (apricot - terra cotta), and reds.

Suggestions please!

Comments (3)