SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Roses for a partly shady woodland border?

peachymomo
11 years ago

I have about 300 ft of ugly fence/views of yards and houses that I would like to hide with a mixed woodland border, something that will be a good habitat for wildlife and give the illusion of wilderness beyond instead of a neighborhood. There are tall trees around and some areas get mostly shade while others get some full and a lot of dappled sun. I was going to plant various shrubs to provide interest/bird food in different seasons, but I can't help wondering if there are any OGR's that would be well suited to these conditions. I've found plenty that will tolerate some shade, but for this project I would also like roses that once established will thrive with minimal watering and care. Like the Fortune's Double Yellow recently discussed, that thread gave me the idea that maybe I should add some roses my woodland border. And of course I've been looking for an excuse to make one last Vintage order, even though I have a pot ghetto with dozens of roses already in need of homes...

This would be a good place for roses best enjoyed from a distance, the sunniest spots along the fenceline are the farthest from the house. The other side of the fence is occupied by old cars and a large blackberry bramble, so I don't think the neighbors will complain if the roses encroach on their property. If they do I'll just complain right back at them about the invasion of their blackberries ;oP

Comments (12)