SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

NEW warning about circling roots in container stock

OK, we all know the drill, you have to check to make sure there are not circling roots on container stock; even if you don't find any, you probably want to break things up a bit.

I recently planted a 'George Tabor' azalea in a very sheltered part of my garden. I had planted one years ago that died during one of the hurricanes from too much water. This one is on higher ground so that won't be a problem. Of course this far north it is somewhat tender and will be injured some winters - hopefully we don't have a repeat a last winter. But the flowers are some of the all-time classics of the azalea world IMHO.

Anyhow, the pot was pretty big for the plant, which was about 20" X 20". Maybe a 3 or 5 gallon. The rootball held together and I was surprised to see just a few feeder roots visible on the surface. "Oh great, it wasn't under potted" I thought. Then I remembered a rhododendron I'd dug up last fall, that I was shocked to see had circling roots. Even though I _always_ check for them. So, I stuck my fingers deep into the root ball. A few inches in, what do I feel but a hard root in a radial formation! Now I started really ripping things apart. Yep, just I as I suspected. When they potted the plant up last year, they just popped it out of a 1 gallon pot, circling roots and all, and threw it in a 3 gallon pot with new soilless mix. Thanks guys!

So, check, and double check, that the whole depth of the rootball has no circling roots.

Comments (24)