SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinmanrusted

Growing new bare-roots in containers in AZ summer heat?

tinmanrusted
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello there all..I'm a noob Rosarian as of the beg. of this year..all of my container roses have been doing great even during this awful AZ heat..(summer starts here in the end of April-early May temp-wise), however I noticed that my 3 bare-roots that I planted back in Feb have all dried out, turned brown, and stopped producing any new growth. This all began when the temps started reaching 90+ degrees, in about April-ish. None of them have any visible signs of disease/stress (powdery mildew, aphids, and thrips are big problem here but everybody had been doing great in that regard), and I cut a tiny piece of a cane on each plant to see if it was still healthy and white/green on the inside, showing any signs of life, but none of them are showing any of that anymore. :'( I had 1 hanging on until about a week or so ago, but it too has also succumbed to the same fate. I know that bare-roots tend to do best when the weather isn't blistering hot outside. Did these guys die from the heat or did they just go dormant..? (Since summers here are typically when plants go into dormancy.)

Which brings me to my actual question, lol -- I just purchased 3 bare-roots online to take advantage of an amazing sale and I just received them last week..that being said, it's been in the 90's and now 100's since the beg. of May..is it too late to try planting these guys in pots (so that I can keep them from getting baked in the sun)? I worry that if I plant them in the ground, they'll just die like the other bare-roots..all of whom I even tried covering for a few weeks with my patio chairs that are made of a UV-resistant type material that still lets some light through (they were all still small/short enough to fit under said chairs lol).

I know that growing roses in containers is a bit different than in the ground, and our soil here sucks anyhow (lotsss of clay)..so does anyone have any suggestions on potting mixes as well (prepackaged or self-mixed)? Thanks a ton!! :)

Comments (16)