SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

New trend from potbound to barely-rooted cuttings?

The "tinies," the baby plants I've bought the past couple summers, primarily at WM since it's the only nearby choice, have included a lot of barely-rooted cuttings. It's an odd and complete change from the potbound condition in which most new plants, even the tiny ones, were almost always found before. A high percentage of these are EA plants, an organization I truly love for breaking the Pothos/African violet barrier and bringing a much wider range of small, affordable house plants to more stores (which I also love for making the effort even if it turns into a game of trying to see/buy them before they are killed by either drought or drowning.)

Not complaining or having any problems with these plants, and not trying to start a rant about any company or store, happy with what I got. As soon as they get big enough to part with a piece, I'll probably start playing with my own cuttings just like all of the other plants with which it's possible to do that. Just curious about what seems like a new trend. Now I admit not all memories are so clear but I'm pretty sure I've always repotted almost any plant in a pot this small very soon upon bringing it home, and a quite a few of them have been EA plants although I used to live near many more places to shop, lots of huge mom'n'pop garden centers/nurseries. The tiny pots dry out so quickly and it just takes a little puff of wind to knock them over.

Do you think it's just me? Either way, what do you think about buying barely-rooted cuttings? For $3, it's hard to say I haven't gotten my moneys' worth, that's in the neighborhood of what the postage would be if someone gave it to me via mail (I think.) I'd like to hope it's a sign that the demand is so great they just can't wait too long to get 'em out the door or the shelves will be empty, which is often the case at the 2 WMs near enough to visit, but that's about all I have to go on. I'd like to see house plants come back to 70's popularity levels.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH