SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsloverosessocalcoast

Austin Roses - grafted bare root or own root?

BirdsLoveRosesSoCalCoast
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello - This is my first time posting. I am so glad I found this forum - I am obsessed with it! I have been reading many of the older posts and find the info here just amazing.

I live along the coast north of the Los Angeles harbor. Our weather is very mild most of the time - hardly 10 degrees difference between a summer day and a winter day. We do get the coastal low clouds and fog as the inland areas heat up. May Gray and June Gloom continued through July this year, and August is starting out more of the same - also very humid. Every day we get an afternoon sea breeze.

Winter rains, summer dry. The rains continued into April and even May this year which is unusual. A few roses got a bit of Blackspot, which is usually not seen here - it's Rust and Powdery Mildew that I have to deal with. I don't want to spray and so am really trying to thoroughly research each rose and only pick the disease-free ones.

I am re-doing some of my garden, trying to squeeze in as many new roses as possible. I love the Austin roses - especially that cupped, globular form. I have quite a list going and am adding them to my shopping basket on the website. They offer most as bare root grafted on Dr. Huey, but a few of the varieties are also offered as own-root - or I can get them own-root from Roses Unlimited. Dr. Huey does well here - too well when you have the "pleasure" of digging him out. I do have some own-root roses I got when those varieties weren't available bare root at DA.

Since I'm ordering early this time, most of the roses I want are available grafted. So since I have a choice, I'm not sure which are best?

Are the own-root roses healthier? I do not spray and cannot abide Roses that Rust! Suckers of Dr. Huey will rust very badly here. I'll tolerate a little bit of Powdery Mildew...

Do the own-root make for a nicer shaped rose? Many canes coming out of the ground rather than the one large tree trunk of Dr. Huey.

Thanks for reading and many thanks in advance for your help.

~Peggy

Edit: I posted this last night, but then decided to change a couple of things, so clicked "edit" and then re-posted. It didn't show this morning even though it showed in my profile. Very sorry if this posts twice now. I have read about your gripes with Houzz...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!