SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danyoni

Something is wrong with my roses -- need advice

13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Los Angeles and my roses are just blooming. I've been growing these roses for years and I've never seen such malformed buds this early in the season. The petals are all mottled with dark brown spots and the whole bloom looks badly misshapen and kind of deformed. The first blooms are always so healthy and gorgeous, but not this year. Even my Sheila's Perfume, which is usually bullet proof in terms of disease and insect infestation, is succumbing. It seems to be affecting the hybrid teas and florabundas. 8 bushes are showing these signs. OGRs seem OK.

I'm wondering if it's the weather -- we've had A LOT of heavy rain the past few weeks. Maybe that is causing it? Or is it thrips or something else? Usually I get what I assume are thrips in just a few of my lighter colored roses, but it's generally much later in the season. I don't spray at all and would really rather not start now, but I am so disheartened by the damage, that I would consider it. I mean, why go to the trouble of growing roses if you can't enjoy the blooms? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have pictures, but don't know how to post them to this site.

Comments (5)