SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janinelevi

Fish Dying One by One

janinelevin
10 years ago

Greetings, and thank you in advance:

I have several above-ground ponds that I constructed of wood with rubber liners. I am having a fish die-off in one of the ponds. This heavily-planted pond is in two parts of about 90 gallons each. There is a small amount of gravel in the bottom of each half: a very sparse single layer of medium gravel that covers about 1/2 of the bottom surface.

The water parameters are steady: 7.6 ph, no ammonia or nitrites, and Before fish started dying, there were four black moors, five rosy-red minnows, an apple snail, and four shubunkin 1" babies in the top tank. In the lower tank were three fantail goldfish, 1 crawdad, a handful of minnows, another snail, and one goldfish baby. The babies must have ridden in on plants because I have not had shubunkin in this pond! My other ponds are doing fine.

The babies grew from specks to about 1-2" very quickly, and then one of them seemed sick. It seemed to darken in color, and it was listing near the surface, sometimes on its side, nearly dead. I took it inside and isolated it for a few days in some salty water. It seemed to do better. Meanwhile another did the same thing. Then 75% of the fish in both ponds just slowed down and started acting like zombies. Swimming around but sad as can be. One black moor is at the bottom of the pond all the time. The liveliness is gone in the tanks. One fantail, one black moor, most of the minnows, and three of the babies have died.

The fish look mostly fine at death. One of the babes had a small flower-shaped area of rust-color on his abdomen that seemed to be under the skin. The black moor that I found this morning had a shiny silver patch behind one gill, as if he had been painted with silver nail polish. The fantail I found yesterday looked mostly normal if not a bit opaque, and was missing scales.

I visited the local water garden shop where I buy most everything, and the expert there was fixated on toxins, but I haven't used any pesticides or fertilizers anywhere near there. Nowhere on my property. Without a solution, he could only offer a catch-all product by tetra "pond koi and goldfish treatment." I did a partial water change and added the treatment per the package instructions. That was yesterday, found the black moor and a minnow dead this morning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This sucks. Thank you.

Comments (7)