SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiegurl09

My tomato plants are dying one by one, help!

lexiegurl09
8 years ago

So my garden was doing great until about a week or two ago when all of a sudden I started having plants wilt and not recover...

Background: these tomatoes are in a cinder block bed with soil that is 3 years old. It's not the greatest soil, but it's not horrible either. No tomatoes were planted there last year. I fertilized with tomato plant Miracle Gro on June 5. I used this same box of miracle gro with no problem back in early May. Also, I have another tomato bed that is wood that was fertilized with the same amount of miracle gro and it has no problems at all.

Well, about a week after fertilizing, I noticed that the new growth was very dark green and wilting, which I know means it might have been over fertilized. I remember I had done this about 2 years ago by accident, but the plants recovered on their own. I used about 3/4 strength when I fed on June 5.

Well it started with just new growth and suckers but has now progressed to whole plants that wilt without recovering even at night. Our temps are 95+ degrees right now, but I don't think that is the problem. I finally pulled one of the plants about 3 days ago for closer inspection. The leaves were all green and wilted (not dry or crispy) with the exception of the few that had early blight or holes from flea beetles. No other yellowing or browning of leaves noted. The stem at the soil line was fine and there was no discoloration of the inside of the stem. The roots looked great, no signs of something eating them or nematodes. Oh, there were a few aphids on a few leaves, but not many at all.

Worrying about bacterial wilt, I placed a piece of a cut sucker in some water to look for the white stringy sign of bacterial wilt and nothing came out. Just out of curiosity, I placed another sucker cutting into a 3" pot of potting soil just to see if it would perk up.... Well it now looks fantastic after just 3 days. I would think if it was disease the sucker wouldn't haven't recovered would it?

So now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out whats wrong and how I can fix it... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's pics:

This is the current wilted plant:

This last photo is the cutting I potted up from the plant I pulled up 3 days ago. That plant looked exactly like the one is the above pictures. Thank you for all of your help!!

Dawn

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville