SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

new addition plans - feedback please

jennyb5149
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

If you have a few minutes, could you please look at my ideas and rough draft drawing of my pond addition thoughts below?

The pond as it stands now is not deep enough to over winter fish. I needed a new section that is much deeper. Due to a variety of reasons namely water level and sloping grade of the yard (which I can expound on if you'd like), I think connecting the two ponds with a very large piece of pvc using the pipe boot method would be best rather than trying to seam the new liner to the old. I'd like the pvc to be large enough for the fish to be able to swim back and forth as they'd like.

Not sure yet if I will have the intake from one of the pumps in the main pond drawing water from the addition in order to improve circulation. That is something I could use some feedback on for certain!

The benefit of this design as I see it is A. won't have to worry about trying to seam liners, B. I can herd the koi into the deep section for over wintering purposes then cap off the pipe to keep them there and C. if it turns out I need to put a plastic green house or cover or somehow insulate the pond for over wintering purposes, I will have a much smaller section to worry about.

I have never seen quite this approach to a pond addition so I'm wondering if this is just craziness on my part. The fact that the two parts won't "appear" connected doesn't matter to me as much as the fact that the fish can swim back and forth freely and utilize both parts in the warmer months. So what do you think? Convoluted craziness or workable wonder?

Thanks for your time! Jenny

{{gwi:226409}}

Comments (7)