SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Any potential Bayer could kill mites that cause RRD?

ronda_in_carolina
13 years ago

Ok...so go easy on me here. I want to share a thought I had today....and it involves chemicals.

Most of you know that I had a huge outbreak of RRD last year, having never seen it in my garden (and still unable to find the source). I have been beating myself up asking "what was different than before"

Here are three things of note:

1. I have a young maple. Its a wee bit taller than in the past. I did remove lower branching to open the tree up a bit more since it is now over 6' tall. It has been in that spot for 3 years.

2. I did not use pine mulch as I did in all years past. I had trouble getting a truck and when I did, I didn't get enough to cover the ground as thickly as I usually do. I typically go heavy with it so that it lasts all year. Last year, I went thinnner to make it stretch and by mid-summer I could see the dirt around the base of the roses.

3. (and here is my big question) Early sping, I always have used the Bayer as a soil drench. I don't use much, I apply only once a year, but every rose gets a bit. I do this to prep for spring weather and well before I have a lot of bees or other beneficials in my yard. I do try to be careful. Last spring, my roses missed that early spring dose. It got too late in the spring and I didnt want to use it after that point. I never skipped before....and I lost so many roses to RRD by fall of that year. No symptoms were there in spring. Is it possible that some of the chemicals in the drench might somehow affect mites?

I recognize that:

1. I have wind disturbances with the height of the tree as it grows, plus I thinned it out a bit.

2. Ground deterrants (perhaps trapping mites if they fall into the straw?)

3. Chemical agents.

For those of you who have lost roses to RRD....you know you never want to see it again. I became physically ill when I saw it on rose after rose. My goal is to be responsible with chemicals, I won't do a spray program, but I have to wonder if they might have had an impact.

Your thoughts??

Comments (4)