SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Multiflora/RRD removal question

subk3
11 years ago

I'm going into my neighbors pasture this week to remove RRD infected multiflora. Their pasture starts about 150 yards from my house and is directly downwind from me. I expect to remove (cut the canes then paint cuts with RoundUp) at least a few pickup loads of diseased multiflora plant material.

I know ideally I burn it, but to burn it I have to haul it several hundred yards on to my property--not any closer to my roses and still mostly down wind. Gives me the shudders though to think about bringing it on my land. I could put it in their burn pile which may or may not get burned this decade and they may or may not be happy about it. Or I could let it die where it lays when I cut it.

Are the mites active this time of year--last freeze date here is in two weeks? Once the diseased canes are dead will they attract mites/infect mites who might then find my roses? If they won't infect mites once they are dead why not just leave them? It will take quite a bit more time and labor to haul to a burn pile and it is doubtful I can get to all of it anyway. So kill less and haul or kill more and don't haul?

This post was edited by subk3 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:30

Comments (19)