SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Massive rose for center of a bed: suggestions?

melissa_thefarm
13 years ago

I had to pull 'Susan Louise' out of her central position in a bed of Teas and Chinas because of root rot after the wettest winter on record. (She's in a more protected place with lighter soil now, and I hope she pulls through.) I don't think I should retry with SL in this site: I think it's too exposed to wind and cold and the soil is too compact; and I don't think I can modify these conditions enough to be able to create a site where SL will thrive. She has always struggled here.

So I need a replacement rose. Something big. And beautiful of course. 'Archduke Joseph' is out, just because I have three plants of it already being glorious in other parts of the garden. Ditto for 'Bon Silene'. Would 'Maman Cochet' work? If I can find her: I keep getting 'Auguste Comte' instead.

Actually, I currently have a grafted plant of 'Alister Stella Gray' to find a place for, and was wondering if it would grow as a big shrub and would be worthy of this spot. How is its foliage? How much support would it need? Could I get it up to 6'-8' and keep it there? (Warm climate roses don't get as big for me as for you Californians.)

Your responses are appreciated!

Melissa

Comments (30)