SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

planting redwoods in between stumps without removing root systems

arylkin
10 years ago

I want to replace the three (horrible) little shrubs in front of our house. IâÂÂd like to plant two red twig dogwood shrubs in their place- weâÂÂre going to be repainting the house a cream color and I thought they would look nice against that.

I donâÂÂt know how difficult the current shrubs will be to remove, so one of my questions is if I could just cut all three to the ground, paint some Round Up (or Round Up Tree Stump and Root Killer) on the exposed stumps, and then plant the two dogwoods in between?

In a year or two IâÂÂd like to extend the front garden bed to be more of a conifer garden, and I thought the redwood shrubs would be a nice background to that.

Do you think the redwood shrubs would do alright without removing the root systems of the current shrubs, and then just letting them rot? Will putting Round Up on the stumps damage the roots of the redwoods IâÂÂm planning to plant?

Finally, IâÂÂve read some very informative posts on here about why not to amend the soil when planting trees or shrubs. On some other sites I saw they were recommending amending the soil when planting red twig redwoods, so I wasnâÂÂt sure if redwoods were different in this regard or if it was just people who didnâÂÂt know what they were talking about.

Thank you in advance, IâÂÂd appreciate any advice!

Comments (4)