SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jennings49

Can I build a raised garden on top of old stumps/roots of tree system?

Jason
7 years ago

Hello,

I had 5 very old and large rhododendron in my front yard that was blocking a window. We are remodeling the kitchen and that window has now become the sink window and has become a much bigger deal to have light and sight out of. While the rhododendron were pretty for a few weeks of the year, the rest of the time they are fairly ugly. I also wanted to repurpose that area as a vegetable garden. We decided to completely remove them but cutting them down at the ground level. This leaves a stump and I assume a substantial root system under the ground. If I wanted to turn this area into a vegetable garden, could I just build a raised bed on top of the old dirt/stump/root system? Do you see any issue doing this? Will it work? Do I just need to make sure the raised bed is deep enough on it's own to support the plants?

We also have a juniper that either smells like natural gas or cat piss next to the front door we want to remove. I also want to remove it for the smell reasons and turn that into a garden area as well. Same questions applies.

Comments (4)