SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

removing tree stump, replanting with cotinus

jadeite
10 years ago

I'm new to this forum, and have spent some time going over past threads on stump removal. We cut down a mostly dead redbud which sufferied during the hard winter of 2011 in the Southwest. The tree cutters left us with a stump about 10 -12" across, 3' high. They said they didn't want to cut it lower because the vibration of their equipment could damage the irrigation pipes which are close to the tree.

The stump is in a walled garden area with limited access for big equipment. One landscaper told us his people could remove it by hand at high cost. Is there another way we can remove the stump? I think there is a ban on fires. We are in New Mexico under severe drought.

Second question: we have a cotinus growing in an alcove of the house. The central trunk was cut off some time ago, and long branches sprout from around the base. I'm hoping I can start a new shrub from cuttings. I would like to plant the new shrub somewhere around the stump. I think it would take some years for a cutting-grown cotinus to reach any real size. Is this plan feasible? In our dry climate I have no idea how long the redbud stump and roots will take to break down.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Comments (10)