SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hepcatwilly

Zone 5 urban songbird hedge plan - comments please

hepcatwilly
17 years ago

Hi everyone.

IÂve been doing a lot of research over the past year since buying my house, and invariably, many of the best answers are found on GardenWeb! Thank you.

I am preparing to plant a privacy hedge that fronts a somewhat busy street. Traffic isnÂt heavy, but fast. My wife wonÂt let the kids use the sloping front yard for fear that our children might get killed, so IÂm trying to create a layered buffer between this beautiful yard and the street.

My plan is a picket fence in front of a songbird hedge. I have a 40Â stretch broken by a mature elm on one side of the driveway, and a 30Â unbroken stretch on the other where the house sits, close to the road.

I live in Zone 5, Manchester NH. I have clay soil and poor drainage in some areas (though not where IÂm planting).

HereÂs what IÂm thinking for the 40Â stretch, and I would love your feedback.

The backbone of the hedge would be 6 Northern Bayberry (Myrica Pensylvanica) spaced 36Â apart, 3 on each side of the tree. Add 2 each of Spicebush (Lindera Banzoin) Winterberry (Ilex verticillata) and a couple of Viburnum. Eventually, an Alba rosebush in the far corner (Queen of Denmark).

Any comments or thoughts? Would this look nice? I'm looking for nonshowy, informal, cottagey style, and my aim is privacy/safety. I hope that the Bayberry will keep a bit of green in the winter.

Would it look odd to plan symmetrically from the Elm (Viburnum, Lindera, Lindera, Ilex, TREE, Ilex, Lindera, Lindera, Viburnum)?

IÂm an apartment gardener, so a bit clueless. IÂll post photos of the house to get feedback for front hedge ideas, if thatÂs OK.

Thanks again for your help and comments!

Bill

Comments (7)