SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Caution: More Lovely Old Roses with picture!!!s

celeste/NH
15 years ago

Part III of my series about the wonderful old roses that I grow and miss right now.....

Today it was warm (nearly 50....gasp!) and the snow is melting in places so that I was able to actually see some of my roses sticking out from the snowline. Those in the shady part of the garden are still encased in 3 feet of snow, but those in direct sunlight have less than a foot of it left....YAY! I walked among them today, visiting with them like the old friends they are.....it was so joyous being out there with them again, if only to gaze at brown, leafless canes. I know the wondrous beauty they will be transformed into, and that vision sparkles in my memory.

Here are pictures of yet more old roses that light up my life. I hope they will light up your day today!

Celeste

PORTLAND FROM GLENDORA.....

Some believe this is the same rose as Johasine Hanet....I have no clue, but what I do know is this rose perfumes my entire yard when in full bloom....so whatever her name, she is wonderful. Bright colored, petite rosettes grace a large-growing shrub that seems to grow anywhere.

She grows where its warm and she grows here where its frigid, and in both places, brings much pleasure to all.

{{gwi:234197}}{{gwi:234198}}

BARONESS ROTHSCHILD.....

A refined beauty, she is resplendant in palest pink. I ache for her to have as lovely a fragrance....for a rose this breathtaking MUST smell divine. Alas, it is slight at best for me, but never mind. She is alluring and I cannot help but love her.

{{gwi:234201}}{{gwi:234202}}

ENFANT DE FRANCE.....

There is an undeniable quirkiness to the form of this rose, which endears it to me. The blooms are shaggy and the color is distinctively two-toned pink. The leaves are long and droop demurely from the canes as if she is trying to hide herself. The bush is stout and produces hundreds of fluffy blooms reminding me of a cheerleaders pompoms.

There is a lot to cheer about!

{{gwi:234203}}{{gwi:234204}}

{{gwi:234205}}

DUCHESSE DE BUCCLEUGH....

OK, you probably knew already (if you read my other posts) that I just had to sneak a gallica in here! This one has plump, raspberry-colored blooms and is healthy, hardy, and happy. There isn't anything I don't love about this rose.

It always brings a smile to my face.

{{gwi:215381}}

EXCELLENZ VON SCHUBERT.....

This is my son and daughter-in-law's favorite rose out of all my hundreds. There is something unique and precious about its tight clusters of small lilac-mauve, pompoms...and its shiny leaves and graceful garden form. As a bonus, it blooms off and on all summer.

Mine is planted at the entrance to my garden, opposite from Marchesa Boccella across the pebble walkway....and the two of them greet guests who enter. They both give a good impression of all that is wonderful about old roses and have transformed the minds of many. With the word 'excellenz' in its name, you just know its a keeper.

{{gwi:234206}}{{gwi:234207}}

JOHN HOPPER

Years ago, when at the Montreal Botanical Garden, I saw John Hopper and declared that if he was a man, I would have to marry him. Other folks might think what a strange one I am, but you know what I mean.....I was smitten.

He looked so handsome that day that I pledged that even if I couldn't quite marry a rose (and DH might protest)....I was going to 'keep him' in my garden one day where I could sneak out and peek at his gorgeous-ness any time I wanted.

Here's what I get to enjoy.....(and I can keep DH, too!)

{{gwi:215379}}{{gwi:234208}}

GLOIRE DES MOUSSEUX

I grow a few moss roses and love them all. This one (whose name means 'glory of the mosses') is ironically my least healthy moss. She blackspots horribly and is a royal pain in my backside all summer. I want to hide her after her glorious June bloom.

So, you are probably asking.....why keep such a disorderly rose?

I will show you..........

{{gwi:234209}}{{gwi:222442}}

(Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.....)

-----------------------------------------------------------

MARECHAL DAVOUST.....

OK...now to a very healthy, cooperative MOSS. This one is a little bloom-machine and doesn't succumb to poor hygiene like its flashier sister, above. The girl is a clean-freak. And the little button-eyed blooms are pretty darn irrestible.

{{gwi:234212}}

ALBA MAXIMA.....

And of course, there HAS to be an Alba in here somewhere!

But only if one likes a pristine-white bloom the color of innocence, healthy blue-green leaves, stately form, and a fragrance that permeates your soul.

ahh....the Albas. If they bloomed more than once, my heart couldn't take it. They would be TOO perfect.

{{gwi:234213}}{{gwi:230910}}

COMTE DE CHAMBORD.....

I grow this one is a less-than-optimal position so he never gets very large but the delicious fragrance wafts on the air, making me remorseful that I don't have him at the front of the garden. His good looks match his great fragrance.

{{gwi:234214}}

PERSIAN YELLOW.....

Before anyone protests that this is a blackspot-ridden rose, I know his faults. But there is nothing so grand as those sunny yellow blooms signaling the start of rose season! This burst of color is a welcome sight for sore, winter-weary eyes and if its leaves are a bit spotty later on, all is forgiven by me.

{{gwi:234215}}{{gwi:234216}}

QUEEN OF DENMARK....

There cannot be just one Alba on here....its not possible.

This one really is 'the queen'.......of my heart.

You have to sit under this one to feel her presence, to appreciate her soul, to breathe in the aroma of royalty.

She is right out of a dream, and if you ever have the pleasure to meet her, you will never forget her.

{{gwi:234217}}

STANWELL PERPETUAL....

This 'tough guy' has the softest, sweetest fragrance imaginable. You would not expect such a delicate scent from such a strong, rugged rose but it is unforgettable.

Stan is as tough as leather but as lovely as they come,

with ferny little leaves and pale blooms with a button eye.

If you don't want to fuss, Stan is your man.

{{gwi:234218}}

HAPPY SPRING TO ALL !!!!

{{gwi:234219}}

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer