SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decagon_gw

Suitable roses for the ocean

decagon
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first post! I'd like to tell you all how helpful you've been. My mother raised roses, but sadly her skills did not rub off on me. I want to carry on the tradition, and have a lot to learn. Luckily, I stumbled upon your forum, which has been invaluable. Reading posts back through October, I learned more than I thought I needed to know (root stock types, body bags, lasagna beds...oh my!). However, there was one question I didn't find answered, and was hoping you all could give me your opinions before I let my fingers do the shopping. (I'm sure I'll make some silly novice decisions, but it would be nice to minimize them. :p )

QUESTION

Which roses are most suitable for growing on the Pacific ocean (SoCal), and which ones are particularly notorious trouble makers that I should avoid? I'm interested mostly in HTs.

I live on the ocean. The roses are planned for the backyard, in a place which gives good, but not perfect, protection from the winds. The two characteristics most important to me are intense fragrance and easy maintenance. I have room to start 8-9.

Thank you all very much for any feedback.

Cheers!

Susan

Comments (28)