SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe_gw

What classes of roses take hot/humid/cold/dry?

phoebe
12 years ago

I've been a gardener for ages, and I have been reading, and reading about roses for the past 3 years, and ended up being a new rose owner in this past year.

I've ended up with a mix of old and new, but no 1x bloomers and haven't found what grows down here in the extreme SW corner of Missouri.

We get it all here, 115F in summer, -20F in winter, humid after huge rainstorms and in the spring and fall, but usually it's just dry.

I'm in an area that receives about 20 inches of rain in an average year, but usually less. It's rocky, with light shade, lots of oak and hickory trees-but the way the sun shifts everything gets plenty of sun.

I'm not sure if Alba, Gallica and the other old roses even like the heat here, it seems plenty warm for Tea roses, but it's too cold for most of them.

I'm not too in love with Buck roses, and would like to have some nice large shrubs (I'm expecting that for the most part, Hybrid Teas will need to be pruned in spring.)

I do use organic methods as much as possible, and have used Serenade with good success in the garden, but this past year was so dry I didn't see any need for it this year.

The soil is clay and quite acid, but with more organic matter it's about 5.3, thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath