SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lerosier3

In search of the elusive Canadian Pimpinellifoliae - an update

lerosier3
13 years ago

About two years I embarked on a quest to procure for my garden every Canadian Pimpinellifoliae that still exists. Unlike most such quests in rosedom it is not just a matter of finding growers who offer the desired variety, write a check and them plant them when the roses arrive on your doorstep. In two years I have only found five Canadian Pimpinellifoliae for sale anywhere in the US, Canada or Europe. The others that I have been able to acquire are from friends in Canada who dug up suckers from their gardens and sent them to me. Without them I would have very little to show for my efforts.

I now have the following Canadian pimpinellifoliae in my garden: Agnes, Alberta Bouquet, Beauty of Leafland, Buttertball, Butterflies, Golden Altai, Haidee, Haris, Hazeldean, Hedley (a found rose), Isa Murdock, Kilwinning, Leafland Double White Altai, Louis Riel, Madeline's Choice, Prairie Dawn, Prairie Peace, Prairie Sweetheart, Prairie Youth, Prairie Wren, Prairie Youth, Red Dawn x Suzanne, Ross Rambler 4, Ross Rambler 6, Seager Wheeler, Suzanne and Yellow Altai. All of these except possibly Halzadean are doing very well. Some are over 30 inches tall.

I will be getting this year 6 Isabella Preston roses: Ardelia, Carmenetta, Conestoga, Mohawk, Orinda and Patricia Macoun. I also have on order: Bob�s Single Pink, Musician and Beauty of Dropmore.

I need the following: Altalaris, Amy Hedrick, Antenor (supposedly AgCanada has this in their garden), Bobolink, Coralee, Cree, Double Cream Altai, Dr. F. L. Skinner, Dropmore Yellow, Grace, Hardy Salmon, Harison's Hardy, Harison's Single, Huron, Iroquois, Jean, Kakwa, Karen, Larry Burnett, Loch Lomond, Lucasia, Madge, Marion Gwyneth, Mauve Altai, Millicent, Peach of Leafland, Pink Altai, Pink Garland, Plenissima, Poliarchus, Porter's Double Altasi, Prairie Charm, Prairie Magic, Prairie River, Prairie Sailor, Regina, Rosania, Silvander, Suzanne x Red Dawn, U. P. Hedrick, Valeria and William Godfrey. I understand that in Finland there is a rose grown as Seager Wheeler that looks like the Canadian variets except that it has serrated petals. I will try to get this variety but there are no rose growers in the country willing to send roses to the US.

If anyone knows where any of these might be acquired please let me know.

Now I plan on doing more than just look at these roses. I believe that somewhere in Canada there should be at least two public gardens where a complete collection of surviving Canadian Pimpinellifoliae can be found. I plan on eventually providing at no cost suckers of my plants so that these collections can be established. I also plan to offer suckers to those who are interested in hybridizing with them. The only exceptions to this offer are varieties such as Red Dawn x Suzanne and seedlings I receive from hybridizers. I don't feel I can give their work away without their permission.

I also plan on doing limited hybridization of varieties such as Prairie Peace, while its seeds may not be fertile I understand its pollen is.

Comments (3)