SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

did I start too soon?

coeng
11 years ago

Less than a week after I planted tomato, cucumber, squash, zucchini, string beans, parsley, and basil in 72 cells under a heating mat, only the parsley has still yet to germinate.

Of the 72 cells, 60 of them are under already under my growing light (a 2-foot Pioneer IV) which is on 16 hours a day via a timer.

The following are my questions at this point.

1) Timing - Did I start seeding too soon? I don't plant until May 15th here in Northern NJ. Should I start a second batch, and if so, when? I had to cancel my vacation plans this week at the last minute so it turns out I will have some extra time.

2) Containers - Because I seeded different varieties, they all germinated on different days so what I did was cut out each individual cell that germinated and inserted it in the corresponding location of another empty 72-cell unit which is under my growing lamp. I did this for ease of moving the seedlings around and not having to worry about any of them toppling over. Was this a good idea or not?

3) Watering - I still don't have a clear answer on how often I should water the seedlings. The soil on the top of each seedling cell is starting to look a little dry, however tomatoes like to be watered only once a week right? Do I selectively water?

4) Conditions - My garage temp is between 55-57 degrees (especially since Spring has yet to spring here in the NE) and the air is quite dry. The growing lamp adds a couple of degrees but not much. Will my seedlings survive in these conditions? So far they seem to be doing OK.

5) Space - As my seedlings grow, I'm going to run out of room under my growing light, aren't I? Any solution to this other than getting a 2nd light?

6) Transplanting - Am I going to need to transplant any of these before hardening them in early May?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!