SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

Screening Shrub advice and questions

I've posted in the landscaping section as well but thought I might try these waters as well.

I moved into a house and need some privacy that a fence won't accomplish. I've attached a photo of the space in question and since this is winter and this photo is taken from my dinette, an evergreen shrub is pretty much all I will consider (unless someone can educate me otherwise!)

The twiggy tree/shrub to the left I believe is a lilac and the only other thing back there is a little weeping japanese maple....I've ripped out everything else (ground cover).

At first I was considering a Leyland Cypress since its fast growing and dense but then the height I think would be too much for this little garden. I've also considered Rododendrons and Moutain Laurels but they are too slow growing for what I am after (still contemplating a B&B of this though). Others I have consider were a Hicks Yew, but I run a home daycare and I'm too nervous to put that in. Finally, I'm contemplating a Redtip Photinia but read they are hardy from 6-9 and I'm barely in zone 6 (I'm in the Niagara/ St. Catharines region) and am wondering if I can pull this one off.

The garden is in the south behind the house. It is blocked between a small shed (west) on my property and a shed (east) on my neighbours but is open to the south and north. The area gets mostly shade as there are a few large mature trees in the yard that block the sun but it does get sun in the late afternoon once the sun is in the south where the road faces. The soil around here is also heavy in clay. There is also a dip in the land where the tree/shrub would need to go. It never has standing water though. Ideally I would like to keep the Japanese Maple.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Other questions I have on shrubs:

Can you plant outside of your zone by 1 or 2? What are the consequences?

What are the consequences if you plant a full sun shrub in a part sun/shade area?

Comments (9)