SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seahawk2000

Screening Tree/Shrub Advice Needed

seahawk2000
17 years ago

I am very green when it comes to gardning - so please forgive me if I give too much or not the right type of information here.

I have a very shaded backyard (probably a bit more than 60% shade) and need to put up some screening along a fence in the backyard.

The fence runs about 50 feet in length and only ~20 feet from the rear of the house (very tight backyard). The soil is primarily clay mixed with a fairly organic black dirt. Given all the shade - they soil is fairly damp and has a lot of drain lines running to this area - so it can get wet. I already have a fairly large tree in the middle of the backyard - about 40 feet in height and 20 feet wide.

I have nothing but azaleas extending from the back of the house up to ~6 feet from the fence. This 6 feet is where I need to plant the screening tree/shrub.

I would like the tree/shrub to be a rapid (very rapid) growth plant that has a max height of no more than 20 feet (15 - 20 ft is ideal). I don't need a flowering plant, but would prefer something that adds color at least 1 time a year. I am fine with the plant losing it's leaves in the winter if it is a very colorful leaf during the fall.

Given this is so close to the fence, if the bottom 5 or 6 feet of the plant was just a trunk and the foilage was above that - it would be great (to avoid all the limbs rubbing against the fence).

Also - just more stuff to consider - anything that would look especially good with uplights on it would be nice as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If you could also include the best time to plant - that would be great as well.

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths