SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

USDA Map Rant!!! Suppliers/Shipping - Warning

I have one bare root plant left to plant. I am awaiting the ONE rose I ordered from Jackson and Perkins. I had a rather frustrating conversation with a young lady about being in zone 9a not 8b or 8a for that matter. She wanted to ship bare root roses to me in March.

My bare root roses must be in the ground by President's Day. It took a little work, but J& P agreed to send the rose February 5th.

This is not an isolated incident. Looking at the USDA map, where I live is nestled in a little corner of Southern Nevada, where without a magnifying glass, it could be difficult to determine where one zone begins and the other ends; but it is possible. Why don't they use contrasting colors? I get the whole movement from temperatures and colors, which would explain gold to yellow, but if that is the logic, then why would blue be nestled next to it?

My due diligence - questioning me:

I am married to a real geek�. Thank goodness he also likes the arts, wine, caffeine, smelling my roses, believes there are things in life that matter or should be valued, and is easy on my eyes or I guess there would be a problem. Anyway. There's weather measurement stuff on my house, and in a tree, on the balcony, and no he isn't looking for E.T. but, well, I cannot explain what all of it does but anytime I need to know what to wear or info. about inside or outside temps. he can tell me. I track the weather, from three sites; one is 1/8 of a mile from my home and I did not just move here. I have grown roses and other plants that are tender perennials for 13 years, and this has required me to track the weather. I am also curious, and have looked at weather patterns and climate reports that have gone back to about 1901. Maybe I am a little bit of a nerd too�.

Now mapping� . We do not live in zone 8b and definitely not 8a. There has been no recent shift. My best friend is a native and we have discussed weather� Above all I know were I live�and can find it on a map.

Why am I upset? Rose suppliers look at the USDA map and figure March and maybe even April is a good time to send roses to me, in Las Vegas. The conversation for orders usually becomes a discussion with me stating " no, I am not in zone 8, but 9". I am nestled in that little pocket that is different from the bulk of the state�..It is 80 degrees here in Aprilâ¦.not exactly prime bare root planting weather especially when it will be Hades in less than 3 months

Am I missing something with this map. What formula is used for calculating the zones? Does anyone else have this problem? What about those blending colors? Changes to the map, are they possible and if so how?

On the bright side, I am not being told that I am in zone 6, or 11, which dealing with the reality of my climate could have disastrous results. Would shipping dates that are off by a zone spell disaster or cause potential issues for you?

Comments (13)