SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

What I Think I'm Learning

Please keep in mind that I'm talking only about my garden in a warm winter climate. My roses seem to fall into three categories right now: those that are pruned and leafless, those that are still actively growing and blooming, and those that still have leaves but are basically just sitting there, not putting out new growth or blooms. With this last group, I recently had the idea of taking off all their leaves to see if this would somehow jumpstart new growth. To my surprise this seems to be working and the new leaf buds have begun to enlarge. This seems to go against conventional wisdom that a rose should hold on to as many leaves as possible for nourishment. In this case, however, they seemed to keep the leaf buds next to them dormant.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Is there any basis for what I'm experiencing? I should also mention that several roses that I received as bands, which were extremely "wimpy", also had their (few) leaves removed and responded positively by almost immediately putting out new leaves and leaf buds.

Ingrid

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County