SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Pro Seeder, any experience with it?

sunslight
17 years ago

I'm contemplating buying a Tenax (other names for it too) Pro-Seeder, to help with spacing, especially of tiny seed.

I'm particularly concerned with seeds such as Begonia, un-pelleted petunia, African Violet.

I've always put the dust-like seed in a salt-shaker filled with fine sand. Mixed that up and sprinkled it over the top of the medium.

But even with then, I've had seeds land in clumps or more often, be covered by the sand.

I went to running the sand through a blender, to make it even finer (don't do this if you have a wife who uses the blender--sand blasting the blades and blender parts, does not make for happy relationships!). Still, though, I've lost lots of seed because they were buried or blown away.

From the ads, this seeder says it works with "even the tiniest." It has nozzles that attach to a squeezable bulb, that uses the suction to pick up/release the seeds.

I can see this working if the nozzles are small enough and they don't let the seed be sucked into the bulb. I imagine if that were to happen, they'd be lost, because of sticking to the inside of the bulb.

The least expensive I've found for the "Pro Seeder" is $15 +$4 shipping. That's still pretty pricey for me. Some gardens supply stores though are asking $29 for it!

Please let me know your experience with this.

Also, if you have a good source, price-wise, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks,

Bob T

Comments (9)