SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

Newbie - Transplanting new seedlings

17 years ago

This is the first time I'm growing vegetables from seeds. I have them under lights, but they are still growing thin and leggy and then falling over right before they get their true leaves. They're not dying, but seem weak. I tried to run a small fan on low, because I read that it strengthens the plant, but it blew them over even worse!!

2 questions...

1. When I transplant them the first time into their own little 4" cups after they get the 1st pair of true leaves, do I bury them in the dirt so only the leaves are outside and they are standing straight up? I did this to some of the lettuce plants and it seems like they are doing good.

2. Could the reason that the little seedlings are so leggy be that they're too far from the lights? They are only a couple inches from the lights. But, they still grow and fall over before they get their first true leaves.

They do seem to do okay when I transplant them, but it is really hard because I don't want to touch the spine and I'm so afraid they are going to bend and die.

So far I've got broccoli, brussels sprouts, romaine, leaf, and buttercrunch lettuce, and Italian parsley growing indoors. Can spinach be planted indoors, or should I just plant it directly outside?

I need a little help to get though this! :) Thanks!

Comments (4)