SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

It doesn't bode well for my future gardens...

AnneCecilia z5 MI
11 years ago

I posted last fall about my new house and reducing my roses from over 200 to less than one quarter that number, some of you may remember. I've been hard at work since the holidays, sketching beds, scratching out, re-drawing and changing around the list of keep vs. give away, but it has slowly dawned on me that I have a difficult issue to consider: 2 dogs that love to prune. With my new house, I brought along a Labradoodle rescue I had only had a few short months. He is now 14 months old and 62 pounds of unending bounding energy. I adopted another rescue after I had moved here, a terrier mix female who is now 8 months old and about 30 pounds. She is a digging machine (with her terrier heritage, that is no surprise to me) and has encouraged the labradoodle into "seeing what's down there" next to the foundation, under the spruce trees and right out in the middle of the lawn. No real harm there other than a pair of dirty mutts; I just fill the holes in and we're OK for a while until she gets the urge to dig again somewhere else. What *has* surprised me is the amount of chewing these two have done all over the yard. Several small shrubs (I don't even know yet what they are) have been chewed to the snow line - as has the one Knock Out rose the former owners planted in the bed by the back patio. They, or at least the terrier, snip off pieces of spruce trees - even blue spruce, seemingly not minding the sharp needles in her puppy mouth. And mind you, this is with all kinds of toys to play with and chew on, both indoors and out. Today, I left them outside in the sunshine and relative warmth (30 degrees) while I ran the vaccuum around the house. They chewed off all the lower branches of an ornamental crab tree! Granted, I intended to remove that young tree anyway in spring - but the point is that I am inside dreaming lovely dreams and they are outside deconstructing the whole yard. I hate to fence them out, but I'm now thinking I will HAVE to sacrifice the lovely flow of curving bed lines for more angular beds that can be surrounded by wire fencing, just to let the roses have a few years to settle in and grow in safety - and the dogs a few years to hopefully outgrow this penchant....they COULD outgrow it, couldn't they?? Or am I doomed? Anyone with experience, please let me know how you handled young rowdy animals in your rose garden! I am not new to owning dogs, but it has been a long, long time since I adopted young ones. I guess I've forgotten how they can be - yikes! Well, I love them anyway...so if you know of a type of garden fence that looks fairly good, please describe it or show me a picture. That would really helpful.
Thanks,
Anne

Comments (23)