SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiefscotsman

How to keep my present alive

chiefscotsman
12 years ago

I got this plant as a present after my father passed away and would very much like to keep it alive. I understand that much of the care is specific to species but I have no idea what kind of orchid this is.

I have kept it alive however for over a year but noticed roots growing out the bottom of the original plastic pot. Care was easy however with the moss median it was originally packaged in.

I read on this forum that the moss was not the best option however so I have since translated the plant into a larger 3 hole drainage pot. I filled the bottom third of the pot with gravel for aided drainage and used a miracle grow orchid median I bought from a local home and garden store.

I was concerned initially after the spikes died off after blooming but they started to grow back shortly before i transplanted the plant. Initially I thought the spikes were more root growth otherwise I would not have attempted transplanting during this time.

I am really worried that I may kill this plant off without good knowledge. The plant seems to be doing well and the spikes continue to grow daily. It has been about 10 days since transplant.

Watering has also been a lot of guesswork.

I filled a pot tray with more gravel and have been keeping water in it. I fill it after it dries up, about every two days. I have watered the plant twice since transplant.

So how am I doing? Am I going to kill this orchid?

What is this so I can do further research without pestering the forum or at least be more educated with my questioning?

Thanks!

Comments (7)