SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honnat

Anxious to get started and lots of questions...

honnat
12 years ago

I got grow lights for Christmas (4 ft, 4 bulb) and want to get started with SOMETHING. I've got a number of varieties of flowers that I'm going to try (just a few of each one) - coneflower, petunia, delphinium, gaillardia, lobelia, cape daisy, lupine, agastache, and gerbera daisies. I've had the coneflowers and delphinium in the fridge with damp paper towels for about 4 weeks. I'm in zone 4b. Realistically, planting outside won't happen until the first couple weeks of May. I've got my grow light set up and hung, and the seed trays filled with seed starting mix.

Here are my questions: 1) Can I get started with any of these varieties; and realistically keep the plants alive until planting time?

2) Soil temp for germination - the light table is set up in my basement and the temp down there ranges between 60 at night and 65 during the day. I turned on the lights and put them about 4 inches away from my seed trays and stuck a thermometer in there; and it was pretty warm - about 75 degrees. I used a 'tea' thermometer that typically measures water temps; but it is pretty accurate for me to measure air temps too. I put it into the soil (no water yet) and it was about the same temp too. Does that sound right? Do I need to even turn on the seed heating mat?

3) From what I read, the delphinium will do better in cooler temps and away from the light to germinate. If I just set it aside in the basement - will that work?

4) Should I have any of these other seeds in the fridge before I sow them?

Comments (7)