SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
porshfan04

a few questions to get me started

porshfan04
17 years ago

For the longest time I really didn't know what Bonsai growing was.. i thought it was just growing a plant in a little pot *rolls eyes*. People told me a few times when the topic came up, but I didn't really grasp what it was and didn't really see the purpose. I've always enjoyed plants, and I've done some landscaping stuff in our backyard and a veggie garden, etc. Well i was at a friends house a few weeks ago, and he had a nice little Juniper (I'm pretty sure it was), pretty traditional pruning and pot, and I simply couldn't get over how cool and intricate and real and tiny it was. I was in a mildly "alternate state of mind" at the time and it amused me way to much to not have to get one myself. So here I am :-D

I've been doing some reading and some looking on ebay and other sites etc. at various trees for sale (and plenty not for sale). I really love the things that some people have done to Giant Sequoias as well as some Oaks.

I like the natural looking pieces that are fairly upright with simpler leaf and branch arrays more than the really abstract ones that have been trained in coils and turns etc.

ok it feels good to have that "i'm new" rant out of the way. Point being, i'm a college student and I really don't feel like I have the time or space or anything else to make a big hobby out of starting my own tree and carefully training it. I'd like to get one that's atleast a couple years old thats been trained and already on track. I think from there i'd be able to maintain it and keep it looking nice.

I have a south facing window in my room that whatever i get could have sunlight from. I know i could reliably water it and stuff, so it doesn't need to be drout tolerant. Would I be able to maintain one fine without learning the full art if I got one that was already a few years old?

The standard beginner tree seems to be the Juniper, but what are some other possibilities that you guys would recommend? I'd like to try and stay under $30 - $35, but if I find one that will do well in my environment and that has a nice branch structure and small leaves, i'll take it into consideration. Where would I look for them locally? a nursery? flower shop? Herbs shop?

any other tips you guys have would be great.

thanks

-Jon

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery