SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maplegirl_gw

Lots of questions about starting seeds

maplegirl
15 years ago

Hello,

I've started some seeds on my window sill at work. I'm planning on planting them in my garden at home once the weather warms up. The basil, oregano, tomatoes, parsley, snap dragons and melons have all sprouted, but there's been nothing from the lavender and bell peppers. Is this normal? I planted the seeds about a week or 10 days ago.

I'm still very new to this, so I have a bunch of questions.... Please bear with me and thank you in advance for your help.

~ When can I plant them all outside?

~ What is 'hardening off' and must I do it in Boston? When? How?

~ Will I need to transfer them into larger pots before then? I started them in those little Jiffy soil pellets.

~ Should I remove all but the strongest seedling from each pellet?

~ The oregano, snapdragons and leeks all have a whole bunch of shoots growing in each pellet. What should I do for them?

~ Should I keep the pellets moist at all times or let them dry out (should they be dark brown - almost black, or light brown)?

~ What are 'suckers' on tomatoes and what should I do about them?

~ Where can I learn more about hanging gardens? I'm interested in hanging the melons as well as some cukes and squash. I was thinking I could build a little arbor for them. I also want to try the Topsy-Turvy tomato planter.

~ I have a groundhog outside. He's cute, but he ate all my veggies last year. This year I'm going to hang a windsock and try putting down some "Shake Away." Has anyone tried this? What were your thoughts? What are some other ways to deter the hog?

~ DH and I are also building a compost bin. I'm going to head over the compost forum, but does anyone here have any thoughts about how best to use the compost for my veggies? I have a little already. We used to just have a pile of leaves/yard waste in the corner of our property. To prepare for putting the bin there, DH raked it all out. Underneath the pile was some dark brown/black soil that I assume is the compost from the pile. Should I mix this into the soil of my veggie garden before I plant the seedlings?

~ I want to make part of the garden an herb garden since some of my herbs are perennials. I'm going to section it off with a wood boarder. How big should the herb garden be? What are some common perennial herbs? I have started leeks, chives, oregano, basil, parsley and lavender.

Thanks so much everyone!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting