SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

A Zone 4b Rose Garden, in pictures.....

celeste/NH
15 years ago

After posting my thread "Ridiculously Healthy Roses in Zone 4" it came to my attention that folks were interested in seeing more of garden shots and full-bush pictures. So I went through my files and found some photos of my garden(s) that might be of interest to all of my fellow cold-zoners. These might not look too spectacular to those used to longer growing seasons and warmer climates but even with all the challenges I am always adding more gardens each year. I now have over 350 rosebushes, with another batch coming in the spring for yet another garden. I also have numerous clematis, 2 lily gardens, 2 water gardens, perennials, a shade garden, rock garden and berry bushes....plus woodlands, all on just an acre of land.

Each time I add another garden it is a major undertaking because my land is (was) all forest. Through the years we've had to chop down trees, dig up stumps, unearth many, many rocks (New Hampshire is The Granite State after all), buy dumptruck-loads of loam and transport it by wheelbarrow & spread it around. The up side of having so many rocks in our soil is that I've never had a shortage of rocks to build numerous stone walls and terraces to contain my gardens....the down side is obvious. It goes without saying that I have a very strong back and a very

loving husband for helping me.

I was not able to take full-garden shots with my humble

camera because of the vast nature of my plantings, but at least little bits & pieces are better than nothing. This year I will strive to take more pictures of whole bushes rather than individual blooms since many people find that

more helpful.

Happy New Year, All!

Celeste

THE HARD WORK, DIGGING UP ALL THE ROCKS AND MAKING A STONE TERRACE WITH THEM SO I CAN PLANT A BORDER OF ROSES ALONG THE ROAD....

{{gwi:222396}}

SAME BORDER, ONE YEAR LATER.....

{{gwi:222398}}

SECOND YEAR....VIEW FROM ROCK TERRACE

{{gwi:222400}}

{{gwi:222402}}

DH CUTTING DOWN TREES IN OUR WOODS FOR YET ANOTHER ROSE GARDEN.....

{{gwi:222403}}

{{gwi:222404}}

{{gwi:222406}}

{{gwi:222408}}

FORMAL ROSE GARDEN, ANTIQUE ROSES.....

{{gwi:222410}}

{{gwi:222412}}

{{gwi:222414}}

{{gwi:222417}}

{{gwi:222419}}

{{gwi:222421}}

MORE ROSES.....

{{gwi:222422}}

{{gwi:222424}}

STATUES....

{{gwi:222426}}

{{gwi:222429}}

PLACES TO RELAX....

{{gwi:222430}}

{{gwi:222432}}

{{gwi:222434}}

MORE BORDERS....

{{gwi:222437}}

ROSES GET TUCKED EVERYWHERE....

{{gwi:222438}}

{{gwi:222439}}

AND AFTER ALL THAT HARD WORK, ITS TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES....(wearing a rose dress, of course!)

{{gwi:222440}}

Comments (47)