SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minis006

How To Water Tomatoes in Zone 4b/5a?

minis006
7 years ago

I'm looking for advised on watering my tomato plants to help reduce/prevent BER. We recently bought a house in the North Minneapolis area and I have a large raised garden bed. The funny thing is most of my previous gardening experience was in containers for a few years and then one year of in ground but low maintenance or soil work. Ironically this year I'm having the most trouble!

I thought I knew how to grow tomatoes but I'm looking for advice on watering. Most of my first green tomatoes are falling to BER. I have two heirloom varieties and one roma.

Is it too late to put mulch around their base to retain moisture? What watering schedules or "rules" do you go by that works? I can't decide if we are watering too much or too little! Add in the huge destructive storm we just had, pollination issues on my zucchini, Japanese beetles on my roses, and cabbage worms on others, this has been a stressful gardening year!

We do have a compost bin going and I'm hoping the eggshells in that will help add calcium to my veggie garden next year. The soil these vegetables are in is fresh miracle grow brand garden soil, I believe.

Comments (10)