SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armymomma_gw

Yet another seedling problem

armymomma
14 years ago

I'm about to bite the bullet and give up on my tomato seedlings. I have 12 varieties of tomatoes, all from commercial seed, that I seeded on January 14th. They started out great and I potted them up after they developed their first set of true leaves. I've kept them under lights for ~14 hours a day.

About 2 weeks I had an issue with mold growing on the soil (at this time I had them in the garage and a combination of cold temps and too much water was the cause I believe). I fixed this by putting them in the laundry room and airing them out with a fan.

Now the problem is that several of the plants have lower leaves that are curling and dying. I've noticed that the backsides of many plants leaves are purplish or outright purple. Some of the plants appear to be limp, even after watering.

I've been very judicious with the water, waiting until the soil has almost dried out. I was using a dilute garret juice once a week for fertilizer and had occasionally sprayed the surface of the soil with a dilution of seaweed (as I was told it would help with the mold).

I used half strength plant food (10-10-10) for the first time 2 days ago thinking it's some deficiency. SHould I have seen an improvement, or does the purplish tint indicate its too far gone?

For what its worth, the top leaves don't have that purplish tint on *most* plants. Some are worse than others.

I feel like I should just start over, which I suppose I could do (4 weeks to last frost here, so 6 week transplants would put me at April 1st).

Thoughts or suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Comments (11)